Home > Art, Portugal, Value Wines, wine > [Mind Boggling] Price of Wine

[Mind Boggling] Price of Wine

I’m again [lucky bastard] in Portugal, and get to enjoy this beautiful country. Of course one of the first places I have to visit is a supermarket, to see what’s new in the wine section (you can find some illustrations for my first encounter here). My eyes stop on the bottle of wine from the unknown region for me – Tejo. There were both red and white wines, standing next to each other, so I decided to grab both.

Protugal wines from Tejo

Let me give you description of the wines.

2012 Enóloga Antonina Barbosa Vinho Branco Tejo Vinho Regional (12.5% ABV, made from the Portuguese grape called Fernao Pires): Light yellowish color in the glass. Spectacular perfumed nose, resembling some of the best French Viognier – shows bright perfumed fruit, very elegant, not over the top. Very round and delicate on the palate, touch of apricot, peach and white apple, fresh acidity, perfectly dry and balanced. Drinkability: 8

2012 Enóloga Antonina Barbosa Vinho Tinto Tejo Vinho Regional (13% ABV, a blend of Aragonez, Castelao and Cabernet Sauvignon): Ruby red color in the glass. Fresh fruit nose, shows nice ripe concentrated fruit and a touch of earthiness. On the palate, very restrained, dry, touch of tart cherries, some earthiness and light tannins presence. Good acidity and good overall balance. Drinkability: 7

So we are looking at two good wines. Now, let me ask you a question. Based on the description above, how much these wines should cost?

I will give you a few seconds to think about.

And a few more seconds.

And a few more.

Ready? What do you think?

Okay, we can skip the drum roll, but let me know if you expected to see this number.

€1.29 each.

A whooping €1.29.

I think this is pretty impressive, that such a level of quality can be achieved at such a price of the wine. This wine is a private label, made for the Pingo Doce stores, by the Falua winery. Of course as this is the case with the private labels, no additional details can be found on the winery web site.

I also learned about relatively new designation for the Portuguese wines – Tejo Vinha Regional, which was created in 2009 to be used in the Ribatejo region. Ribatejo DOC (higher classification) is retained for some specific areas of the region.

That’s all I have for you for now. There were many other great wines, food and very special experiences, like Port barrel tasting all the way  to the 1970 – this all hopefully will be shared in this blog in the orderly fashion.

So, can you top my quality/price ratio? I will let you think about it. Cheers!

1. October 8, 2013 at 9:00 am

I think I can top it if the debt ceiling doesn’t get raised, we go in default and the Euro exchange rate skyrockets to where that 1.29 Euro is now about twenty bucks.

So jealous. Enjoy!!

October 8, 2013 at 10:47 am

I truly hope we will not see that default happening…

Thanks, I’m definitely enjoying!

2. October 8, 2013 at 9:57 am

The price is right and judging from your review this sounds like a wine I want to try. I wonder if they have in the US, will check. Sounds really nice both the red and white.

October 8, 2013 at 10:49 am

You will not be able to find that exact wine, as it was a private label from Portuguese winery for Portuguese store. But you should definitely look for some of the Portuguese wines available in US.

• October 8, 2013 at 1:19 pm

My local wine merchant has a couple of portuguese wines, I am going to give them a try, Wish I could find the one you had but understand why it would not be available here. Thanks!

3. October 8, 2013 at 11:02 am

I’ve never tried any Portuguese wine. Sounds like I need to though! Interesting discussion re the price of wine. From your descriptions, on an Australian price scale, I’d probably say that each bottle should be around $25 recommended retail price. But only one euro, what?! Ridiculous. I need to stock up!

October 8, 2013 at 11:33 am

I find lots of outstanding wines here in Portugal – however, most of that wine is either consumed locally, or at the best, exported throughout the Europe only.

4. October 8, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I have always loved Portuguese wines, great that they are still ‘reasonably’ priced! Salut….

October 8, 2013 at 6:59 pm

yes, the prices are still very reasonable, both in the stores and in the restaurant

5. October 8, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I’m finishing a post about Portugal right now . . . I’m beyond amazed at the QPR of these wines!! So jealous you’re in Portugal . . . it’s on my wine bucket list. Have a great trip!! Saúde!!

October 8, 2013 at 7:07 pm

don’t be jealous – you are just a flight away : ) I hope you found some good Portugal wines in US – looking forward reading your post.

6. October 9, 2013 at 12:33 am

I was amazed by the price and quality of Portuguese wine when I was last there. It’s enough to get me back again!

7. October 9, 2013 at 9:21 am

Truly amazing, Anatoli – even more so considering that they were good wines!
    Unfortunately, more in general, I have to concur with the Food and Wine Hedonist in regards to the potential consequences of the lame debate on raising the debt ceiling here in the US… 😦

October 9, 2013 at 9:46 am

I really hope that scenario will be avoided….

1. April 4, 2017 at 7:39 am