Home > wine quiz > Weekly Wine Quiz #48: Let’s Get A Little Technical

Weekly Wine Quiz #48: Let’s Get A Little Technical

wine quiz pictureThe Wine Quizzes are back at Talk-a-Vino! Be honest – I know you missed them, right? Okay, never mind. But – let’s proceed, shall we?

For today’s quiz I decided to play a game of pairing of the wine terms with the wines. What you will find below is the list of the wines (very random), and the list of wine terms associated with production of the wines. You will need to match the terms with the wines, considering typical and generic use (note the bold font here – it is an important disclaimer) – there are always exceptions to the rules. Note that one and the same term can be associated with different wines, and it is possible that few terms can be associated with one wine. As the bonus question, briefly explain what the term mean and how it relates to the wine. Note – you might encounter some strange surprises along the way.

Wines:

2. Estufagem

3. Flor

4. Malolactic fermentation

5. Noble Rot

6. Solera

7. Vintage

As a side note, a lot of these wine terms had being discussed in this very blog.

Have fun and good luck! The answers are coming on Wednesday.

Have a great weekend and open something good tonight! Cheers!

March 2, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I’m pretty sure Letter H and Number 2 are just made up words. You’re messing with us, aren’t you. 😉

March 2, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Actually, no, all the words there have meaning, sans my spelling mistakes : )

2. March 2, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I’d say that’s a challenging quiz. I’m probably wrong with my answers but I’ll give it a try!

Cabernet Sauvignon – Vintage
    Champagne – Malolactic fermentation, Vintage
    Chardonnay – Flor, Vintage
    Jerez- Flor, Solera
    Madeira – Estufagem
    Riesling – Noble Rot, Vintage,
    Valtellina Sforzato (or Valtellina Sfursat) – Appassimento
    Vin Jaune – Flor

Appassimento (I think it is spelled with 2 s) refers to the process of drying grapes on straw mats.

Estufagem is an aging process for wine from Madeira.

Flor refers to a film of yeast on the surface of a wine.

Malolactic fermentation describes the process of turning malic acid is turned into lactic acid.

Noble Rot is a fungus affecting wine grapes.

Solera is a process of aging wine where different vintages with are blended together.

Vintage refers to the process of picking grapes and turning them into wine.

I hope at least some of this is right 🙂

March 2, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Julian,

thanks for playing, very good answer!s I will correct the spelling on Appassimento, thank you.

I understand that some of the terms are rather ambiguous, so I’m really looking for “Typical” applications… The answers are coming on Wednesday!

1. March 6, 2013 at 10:34 pm