Home > wine quiz > Weekly Wine Quiz #49 – Once Upon A Time…

Weekly Wine Quiz #49 – Once Upon A Time…

Saturday is here again, therefore it is time for the wine quiz!

This week’s quiz will be very different from the last one – and I really really hope to see more people participating.

Today’s quiz doesn’t really have much of the right answers – but I hope this will even make it more fun.

Below you will find some words and expressions, which are well known – and connected to the world of wine at least as the legend has it. So this is the legend I’m looking for – please tell me how the following words are connected to the world of wine (and here I’m including all things alcohol into the word “wine” – whiskey, sake, beer – all is “wine” in this context):

1. Honeymoon
  2. Wet your whistle
  3. Rule of thumb

Remember – there are no wrong answers, so unleash your imagination…

Have fun and good luck! Have a great weekend and cheers!

1. March 9, 2013 at 11:52 am

Rule of thumb is used for bourbon and whiskey, no? Something like a pour up to half your thumb is a nip? Or maybe we’re just making that up? 🙂

March 9, 2013 at 5:25 pm

That’s sounds pretty interesting. I will give you my version on Wednesday. Thanks for playing!

2. March 9, 2013 at 11:58 am

I think I know two, one taking a wild guess

– Wet your whistle – could’ve orig been “whet” as well. But they used to refer to people’s throats and voices as their whistles. So phrase could’ve been to sharpen them or just to take a drink.
    – Honeymoon – Tradition of giving gifts of mead (made from honey) to newlyweds.
    – Rule of Thumb – no idea…. I always heard it was that you couldn’t beat your wife with a stick no thicker than your thumb. So taking a guess that it’s about measuring a shot of liquor?

March 9, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Excellent answers! Thanks for playing! My version is coming on Wednesday.

3. March 9, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Agree w rule of thumb, the only one I had a clue about. Honey moon sounds right. Not sure about whistle but intrigued.

March 9, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Thanks for playing! The “answer” is coming on Wednesday.

4. March 10, 2013 at 9:01 am

Honeymoon – this has something to do with an old practice of giving a bride and groom enough mead (made out of honey and water) to last them a month. Drinking mead for a month was supposed to ensure the couple’s first child would be male. Lots of good science behind that. ;o)
    Wet your whistle – this means to wet your mouth or throat (your whistle) with a drink. Not sure if it was a requirement that the drink be alcoholic. But maybe it’s just a euphemism for, “I’m going bar hopping” . . .
    Rule of thumb – An old English rule where it was OK for a husband to beat his wife as long as the stick he used was no wider than his thumb. That doesn’t have anything to do with alcohol. Or maybe it does . . .
    Salud!!

March 10, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Thanks for playing! My version is coming on Wednesday : )

5. March 11, 2013 at 11:00 am

Honeymoon….TO take a honeymoon in wine country like napa or sonoma♥

March 11, 2013 at 11:30 am

Thanks for playing : ) Answers are coming on Wednesday!

6. Kim
    March 12, 2013 at 8:36 pm

I associate honeymoon with champagne or sparking wine! It’s celebration time! 🙂 And I think the rule of thumb deals with the amount of liquor poured in a shot. No good guesses on wet your whistle, though.

March 12, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Thanks for playing! The answer is coming soon.

1. March 13, 2013 at 10:02 pm