Home > Champagne, Sparkling wine, Wine Tasting > Bubbles, Bubbles, Bubbles Everywhere!

Bubbles, Bubbles, Bubbles Everywhere!

December 30, 2012 Leave a comment Go to comments

New Year is around the corner, and of course, we are all talking about sparkling wines. That little effervescence, the tiny bubbles, they create mood and tell us “this is all good, we got something to celebrate, let’s have fun”.

There is hardly a wine blogger today who didn’t write about Bubbly. Let me join them, and share some recent encounters and (in the spirit of summing up a year) some of the old ones.

My favorite wine store, Cost Less Wines in Stamford, had a Sparkling wine tasting today. Here is what you could try:

DSC_0869 Spakling tasting Cost Less

Picollo Ernesto Rove Rina Vino Spumante Brut – Italian sparkling wine made in the Gavi region out of Cortese grape. Simple and refreshing, probably could use a touch more acidity. Has apple undertones on the palate.

Champagne Philippe Prie Brut Tradition NV – very yeasty, lots of freshly baked bread on the nose. Probably could use a touch more acidity (either there was something wrong with me, or may be the wines were a bit too warm…)

Champagne Piper-Heidsieck Brut NV – yeast, baked bread, green apples on the nose – very balanced and refreshing on the palate. Best of tasting.

Bagrationi 1882 Sparkling Wine Rouge NV, Georgia  – while I had a number of Bagrationi sparkling wines before, this was my first tasting of the Bagrationi Red. This wine is a blend of 4 different grapes. Very nice nose of fresh fruit. Full bodied, with the touch of sweetness on the palate, but only a touch. Very refreshing and very pleasant.

Here are few extra bubbles for you. First, for the full immersion into the sparkling world, visit this Pinterst collection of all things Champagne.

Now, here are the links for some of my past blog posts about Sparkling wines – a 2006 newspaper article and 2011 update to it.

In 2012, I learned how to saber the bottle of sparkling wine with the wine glass. Here is a link to the blog post about it. And here is how professionals do it.

And here are the Champagne and Sparkling wines which are planned to be open on the New Year’s night:

DSC_0875 Sparkling wines

What bubbly will be in your glass? Cheers!

1. December 30, 2012 at 11:45 am

Bubbles posts everywhere 😛

December 30, 2012 at 1:53 pm

It’s that time of the year!

2. December 30, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I am intrigued by the Cremant D’ Alsace Brut Cattin. Hopefully reviews will follow in 2013 🙂
    Thank you.
    PS
    I am actually working New Years Eve and hope to be home by midnight or soon thereafter. My champagne will be supplied by a very generous neighbor with good taste. Something to look forward to as I assist the public with their choices up to the last minute of 2012 🙂

December 30, 2012 at 4:50 pm

of course, notes will be forthcoming. Happy New Year and hope your neighbor will be very generous : )

Cheers!

3. December 30, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Interesting that you got to try a sparkling Cortese: was it a Charmat-Martinotti Method? I don’t know if you ever happened to try out La Scolca’s Brut Millesimato, a Classic Method Cortese aged 6 years on its lees. It is something really special and worth trying out.

December 30, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I’m not sure what process was used in production of sparkling Cortese – it is not listed anywhere on the bottle. And thanks for the suggestion – I would love to try sparkling wine aged for 6 years on lees – but it doesn’t seem to be available in US…

• December 30, 2012 at 10:21 pm