Home > Grapes, wine quiz > Weekly Wine Quiz #100: Grape Trivia – Blends, Part 4

Weekly Wine Quiz #100: Grape Trivia – Blends, Part 4

wine quiz pictureThe Wine Quiz series is not meant to intimidate. The whole idea here is to have fun and learn something new. When answering the questions, it is fully encouraged to use all available sources of information, including Google or any other search engine. There are no embarrassing answers – the most embarrassing thing is not giving it a try…

Welcome to the weekend and your new wine quiz!

We are continuing our grape trivia series, focusing on the blends, even if it is a blend of 1. White, Red, Rosé, Sparkling, Still, Fortified and Dessert – all goes. Oh yes, and we will blend in some regions as well.

And now, to the quiz!

Q1: True or False: Even if the bottle of wine states the vintage and is made out of 100% of the same grape, there is a very good chance that the wine is still a blend. Explain your answer.

Q2: This white grape is known to produce beautiful, delicately perfumed wines. In some appellations in France, it is also the only white grape allowed to be blended into the red wines. Do you know what grape it is?

Q3: Whats is common between Cabernet Franc, Riesling and Vidal?

Q4: Which one is missing?

Rondinella, Corvina, Molinara, ?, Croatina, Negrara, Oseletta

Q5: I’m drinking a delicious French white dry wine, made out of Clairette and Roussane. What AOC designation this wine most likely has?

Good luck, enjoy the quiz and your weekend! Cheers!

  1. Gene Castellino
    April 26, 2014 at 10:22 am

    1. True Wines labeled with the name of a grape variety must be made from at least 75% of the specified grape. So that leaves a little less than 25% for the wine maker to add other varietials.

    2. Viognier is sometimes used to add fragrance and to soften and lighten the syrah in Côte Rotie

    3.Icewine is single-handedly opening European doors and allowing our industry’s other VQA wines to follow.

    The process involves leaving Vidal, Cabernet Franc, Gewurztraminer or Riesling on the vine to freeze.

    4. Forsellina and Pelara…varietals allowed in Amarone

    5.AOC Côtes du Rhône

    • talkavino
      April 26, 2014 at 10:37 am

      Excellent work, Gene – thanks for playing! Answers are coming on Wednesday, as usual.

  2. April 26, 2014 at 11:53 am

    1) True because it only has to be a certain percentage and some vintages need a little “help.”
    2) Viognier
    3) Don’t know
    4) ?
    5) Cote du Rhone

    PS Viognier always makes me think of our fun night TX vs the World now!

    • talkavino
      April 26, 2014 at 12:01 pm

      Very good work, Alissa, thanks for playing! The answers are coming on Wednesday.

  3. caspernick
    April 26, 2014 at 1:17 pm

    1. The addition of previous vintages is sometimes allowed so long as the vairetal is constant.
    2. Viognier
    3.Icewine
    4. ?
    5. Cotes Du Rhone

    • talkavino
      April 26, 2014 at 2:09 pm

      Great work! The answers are coming on Wednesday.

  4. April 26, 2014 at 4:08 pm

    1. True – a % of other permitted grapes is allowed in most appellations – but all… Cornas for example can only be 100% Syrah

    2. Viognier… Northern Rhone theme here!

    3. Peller Estates produce Icewines from all 3 varieties?

    4. ? Something to do with Valpolicella/Amarone?

    5. Chateuneuf du pape Blanc

    • talkavino
      April 26, 2014 at 6:00 pm

      Excellent answers! Especially the one for the #5 – I was hoping to see CdP being mentioned : )

  5. April 28, 2014 at 2:08 am

    1. True. In some appellations a winery is allowed to add a certain percentage of other grape varieties.
    2. Viognier
    3. In North America there are wineries that produce icewine from Cabernet Franc, Riesling and Vidal.
    4. Maybe there are two answers for this questions. Corvinone and Rossignola are both missing. These grape varieties are all part of the Valpolicella blend.
    5. Chateauneuf du Pape

    Cheers!

    • talkavino
      April 28, 2014 at 4:57 am

      Thanks for playing, Julian – great answers, as usual!

  6. Jennifer
    April 28, 2014 at 4:41 pm

    1. True. Most wines laws require 95% stated varietal from vintage and appellation.

    2. Viognier

    3. All grown in New York State. Also used in icewine.

    4. Corvinone

    5. Southern Rhone. Chat-du-pape

    • talkavino
      April 28, 2014 at 9:17 pm

      Excellent work, Jennifer! Welcome and thank you for playing!

  1. April 30, 2014 at 8:35 am

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s