Home > Argentina, Grapes, Torrontés, wine quiz > Weekly Wine Quiz #72: Grape Trivia – Torrontés

Weekly Wine Quiz #72: Grape Trivia – Torrontés

September 7, 2013 Leave a comment Go to comments
Torrontes

Torrontés grapes, as shown in Wikipedia

Welcome to the weekend and your new wine quiz!

We are continuing our grape trivia series, still focusing on the white grapes, and today’s subject is Torrontés.

How often do you drink Torrontés? Do you know at least what country it is coming from? Yes, I understand that my choice of the grape for today’s quiz might be questionable – Torrontés is not a mainstream grape by all means. But as we are continuing with the white grapes, and the last white grape we talked about was the spanish grape called Albariño, the choice of Torrontés as a subject for today’s quiz is almost automatic for me.

Torrontés has a relatively short history, first appearing under its name in the second half of the 19th century in Argentina. Originally it was thought that Torrontés came from Spain, where there is a grape with the same name, but it appears that the two have nothing in common. While Torrontés plantings only amount to the 10% of total grape plantings in Argentina, it yields about 20% of the total wine production. Torrontés today is mostly growing in Argentina with some small plantings appearing on the other side of the Andes, in Chile. Torrontés wines typically have very expressive aromatics, more of a floral nature, coupled with crisp acidity on the palate, which makes them a great accompaniment to the wide variety of dishes. Best Torrontés wines come from the regions of Salta and Cafayate, where grapes are growing at the altitude of 5,000 ft (~1700 m) above sea level.

And now, to the quiz!

Q1: Name three varietals of Torrontés growing in Argentina

Q2: Wine Spectator calls wines rated in 90-94 range Outstanding. True or False: there are no Torrontés wines with Outstanding rating?

Q3: As established by DNA analysis, Torrontés is a cross of two grapes. One of them is Muscat of Alexandria. The second grape played an important role in the early days of winemaking in the United States. Do you know what grape it is?

Q4: Most of the Torrontés is growing in pretty unique conditions, for most of the plantings being at a high altitude. Name one problem which needs to be controlled for the production of the high quality wines.

Q5: True or False: Torrontés produces both dry and dessert wines

Even if you don’t feel like answering the questions in the quiz, I’m curious to know if you had Torrontés wines, and if you did, what do you think of them.

Good luck, enjoy the quiz and your weekend! Cheers!

1. September 7, 2013 at 8:50 am

While I have seen the grape name Torrontés once or twice in my life, I am completely at a loss with the quiz. I have absolutely no clue about that grape or its wines…never had one. 😦

September 7, 2013 at 10:43 am

I know this might be an obscure grape for many. But it is really a mainstream grape in my mind, readily available in a lot of wine stores, right next to the Malbec : ) The wines are typically inexpensive and quite pleasant, so try one the next time you see it. Overall, one of my main hopes with all these quizzes is that it will prompt people to learn and try something they didn’t have before – and by the way, Google is a great learning tool nowadays : )

2. September 7, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Love Torrontes. It’s one of my favorite summer wines!

September 8, 2013 at 10:06 am

Glad to hear that! I think Torrontes is one of the best hidden secrets of the wine world : )

3. September 8, 2013 at 1:13 am

1. Riojano, Sanjuanino, Mendocino
    2. True…I’m guessing
    3. Mission
    4. High altitudes produce acidic grapes
    5. Dry only…I’m guessing.

The Torrentes I’ve had have been pretty crisp and tart. I like them. My husband hates them, so I don’t have them often.

September 8, 2013 at 10:07 am

Linda, thanks for playing! Great work! My answers are coming on Wednesday.

4. September 9, 2013 at 12:01 am

I hadn’t heard of or tasted Torrontes until this spring, when we visited the Walla Walla wine region. The winemaker for Tero Estates in Walla Walla has a side label using Argentine grapes, and makes a very good Torrontes – the label is Flying Trout. Delicious!

September 9, 2013 at 7:25 am

I have yet to try the Torrontés made in US – they are pretty hard to find – but I’m glad you enjoyed the one you had.

5. September 10, 2013 at 5:53 am

I only saw Torrontés a few times in a store. Never tasted one though. So I’m completely lost this time! Looking forward to the answers.

September 10, 2013 at 4:59 pm