Home > Spanish wine, Tempranillo, wine quiz > Weekly Wine Quiz #61: Grape Trivia – Tempranillo

Weekly Wine Quiz #61: Grape Trivia – Tempranillo

Tempranillo grapes as captured in Wikipedia

Tempranillo grapes as captured in Wikipedia

Welcome to the weekend! Here is your new wine quiz you’ve been waiting for so hard (yeah, okay, I know I’m pushing it, but may be at least a bit?)

And yes, we are continuing the grape trivia subject – by the way, if you are tired of it, do tell me – I will come up with something else. Just to let you know, we have two more red grapes to go through, and then we will switch to the whites for may be 8 different white grapes – then will see where we will end up.

Today’s subject is – Tempranillo! Just saying the word Tempranillo makes me very excited, as Rioja, one of the most well-known wines made out of Tempranillo grapes, are some of my all time favorites.

Tempranillo is indigenous grape  originating in Spain, with more than 2000 years of history. It is black, thick-skinned grape, capable of surviving temperature swings of Mediterranean climate, with very hot days and cool nights. Tempranillo grapes are naturally low in acid and sugar content, so they often rely on blending partners to complement on both. Flavor profile of Tempranillo typically includes berries, leather (so famous in Rioja wines) and tobacco. Most famous Tempranillo wines come from Spain, from Rioja and Ribera del Duero regions, but Tempranillo is successfullygrowing in many other regions, including Portugal, California, Texas (up and coming star), South Africa, Australia and others.

And now, to the quiz!

Q1: What is the meaning of the name Tempranillo?

Q2: Name 3 grapes,  traditional blending partners of Tempranillo

Q3: What is common between Bodegas Muga, La Rioja Alta, Lopez de Heredia and Vina Real outside of the fact that all four are very famous Rioja producers and of course make wines out of Tempranillo?

Q4: Tempranillo is used in production of the wine outside of Spain, which is at least equally famous to Rioja. Do you know what wine is that?

Q5: Name two producers of Tempranillo wines – one is the most famous and another one is probably the most expensive.

Enjoy the weekend and good luck with the quiz. And don’t forget to celebrate Dad tomorrow – Father’s Day, yay! Cheers!

1. Emil
    June 15, 2013 at 10:44 am

1. From Spanish “temprano” meaning “early”.
    2. Grenache, Carignan & Graciano.
    3. All produce Rioja Gran Reserva.
    4. Port.
    5. Bodegas Muga, Vega Sicilia

This was fun 🙂 Thanks!

June 15, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Excellent work, I think you are quite close : ) The answers are coming on Wednesday.

June 15, 2013 at 11:15 am

I’m learning a lot from the grape quizzes, so keep ’em coming! And Happy Father’s Day!

June 15, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Thank you and my pleasure! More quizzes are coming : )

3. June 15, 2013 at 10:32 pm

I love the knowledge I gain about the different grapes you are quizzing about, so my vote is to continue! Even though I am not able to answer the questions, I always learn something. Thanks!

June 16, 2013 at 10:09 am

thank you! I actually like this series – I like the easy connection from the post to the post, so I plan to go on for a while. And you should really play no matter how little you think you know on the subject – there is really nothing to lose!

• June 16, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Well, I do have my dignity to lose… but I haven’t been afraid to sacrifice that before : )

4. June 17, 2013 at 5:40 am

Going to give this a try 🙂

1. The name derives from the Spanish word temprano which means early.
    2. Mazuelo, Grenache & Merlot.
    3. They all produce a Gran Reserva. However, Bodegas Muga named their Gran Reserva ‘Prado Enea’
    4. Tempranillo is planted in the Portuguese Douro region for the production of Port.
    5. Vega Sicilia from the Ribera del Duero is said to produce the most expensive Tempranillo wine (blended with Cabernet Sauvignon). Bodegas Muga is one of the most well-known Tempranillo wineries from La Rioja Alta.

June 17, 2013 at 7:49 am

Thanks for playing, Julian, nice work! The answers are coming on Wednesday.

1. June 19, 2013 at 9:05 am