Home > wine information > A Bit Of Wine Data To Brighten Up Your Tuesday

A Bit Of Wine Data To Brighten Up Your Tuesday

I’m an infographics junkie. I can spend hours studying wittingly constructed graphs and pictures, representing data – sometimes totally unexpected.

Today I want to bring to your attention a very interesting set of charts compiled by the company called SpareFoot (interestingly enough, the company is in self-storage business), presenting the data around growth of wine consumption in US (remember, we are #1 right now, yay!). Enjoy and don’t forget to share your thoughts. Cheers!

Wine Infographic
Produced by SpareFoot. Copyright 2013.
  1. June 11, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Love this, lots of interesting info!

June 11, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Enjoy!

2. June 11, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I’m an 11%-er . . . for sure!

June 11, 2013 at 9:46 pm

yep… see me standing right next to you?

3. June 12, 2013 at 9:32 am

2.73 gallons per year?!? Looks like I am pitching in and covering about 50 or so teetotalers!

June 13, 2013 at 7:12 am

Almost scared myself – I guess all of us 11%-ers are averaging 45+ (!!) gallons per year? Wow…

4. June 12, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Very surprising to not see Pinot noir as a primary wine after Chardonnay, cab sav, and merlot. Am I missing something on the Pinot Grigio front. But, then again, I don’t live in US and its my biased samplig of wine chat that informs my inklings.

June 13, 2013 at 12:15 am

As with any statistics, the question is how the data are collected. I think some general ideas there are correct, but some might be off…
      At the same time – Pinot is popular, but generally in the mid-tier price category. If you would look at the wines under $10, for instance, you will find drinkable Cabernet and Merlot, but your chances of finding drinkable Pinot under $10 are practically non-existent.

5. June 13, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Awesome graph and data, Anatoli: some work still needs to be one on the American adult male population: 20% is really pretty low a number. But I bet that that same stat broken down between Coastal US and Central US would likely look different. Thanks for sharing!

June 13, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Thanks, Stefano. I only looking ta that as a source of amusing data you can ponder at for a while. At the same time, I always question the precision of all these “statistics”… The margin of error can be much higher that we would want to accept. But – in this format, the stats are entertaining for sure.