Home > Cabernet Sauvignon, Daily Glass, Value Wines, WTSO > Daily Glass: WTSO Wines – Mockingbird Hill Cabernet Sauvignon, Just Add A Little Time…

Mockingbird Hill Cabernet DSC_0595As you probably know, I’m a big fun of Wine Til Sold Out (WTSO). As someone who consumes wine all the time, I greatly appreciate an opportunity to save money but still drink great wines – and that is what WTSO allows us to do.

A number of wines sold by WTSO are really of an unknown pedigree. Yes, when the wine is offered for sale at WTSO, you get all the info associated with that wine – winemakers notes, technical details, etc. – but quite often, nothing else can be found on Internet.

The Mockingbird Hill wines belong to that group. I know that my WTSO posts are quite popular, and Mockingbird Hill wines come up quite often among search terms in my blog stats (yes, I do look at that info). But when I searched for the info on Mockingbird Hill wines, I was unable to find much. So I decided to try some of the Mockingbird Hill wines and write the review on my own.

Our wine today is 2011 Mockingbird Hill Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville Napa Valley (14.5% ABV, $19.99), 100% Cabernet Sauvignon (according to the info on WTSO web site). I have to honestly tell you that the pop-and-pour model failed completely for this wine. Open the bottle, pour into the glass, nice ruby color, sniff and…nothing. Really, not much to report. The first sip left me disappointed – definitely wine, but very tight, maybe some underripe blackberries. So I decided to stop right there (yes, this was not a happy stopping with a sigh), pump the air out and put it aside.

The next day… What do you think happened to this wine on the next day? Well, in a few words – it actually became pop’n pour wine. Great inviting nose of the succulent berries from the get go. Cassis and blackberries on the palate, bright and fresh, acidity, tannins, all together in a perfect harmony. It is pretty incredible what little time can do with the wine… Drinkability: 8-

I would definitely recommend this wine – as long as you are willing to give it little time. Yes, you can cellar it, or you can decant it – it is your choice, but in the end, you will not be disappointed.

That’s all I have for you folks for today. Happy Monday and cheers!

1. June 4, 2013 at 7:58 am

I have often wondered about WTSO but have never tried them. The bargain wines I have tried are Naked Wines and Cameron Hughes. The Cameron Hughes wines have grown in popularity and the price has gone up a bit since I first started ordering them 4 or 5 years ago. Naked Wines is a great concept but most of their wines will be unheard of.

June 4, 2013 at 12:33 pm

WTSO provides both lesser known ( private? ) lebels and well known wines – unlike Cameron Hughes wines, which are all private label, you would recognize a lot of wines at WTSO – but very often at much much better prices than you can find them anywhere ( not always, but often).

You should give them a try – no long term commitments, it is not a club – you see a good wine, you buy it – if you are fast enough, of course : )

2. June 4, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I have never heard of this website before. Interesting concept. Thanks for sharing this information.

June 4, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Ohh, you are in for a treat! WTSO is a great service to all wine lovers. Enjoy!

3. June 6, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I LOVE WTSO!!! Thank you once again for introducing me to them! 🙂

June 6, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Stefano, you are welcome! But your enthusiasm towards WTSO makes me worry… : )

• June 6, 2013 at 11:59 pm

You’re absolutely right! It is addictive like a drug and it takes a lot of restraint not to get too much… carried away! 🙂

4. Bruce Brooks
    March 2, 2016 at 10:12 pm

I have a friend who owns a winery that in order to sell wine through WTSO had to have his wines tasted by a panel of 4 judges to make sure it was good enough to meet there standards. I have had many of his fine Willamette Valley Pinot Noir’s over the years and know that it is good, and yes they did take and sell a bit of his wine (Territorial Vineyards)

March 3, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Thanks for comment Bruce. I’m also glad to here about rigorous selection process WTSO has in place – so far I had been very happy with absolute majority of wines I got through them.