Wine Gadgets!

Wine accessories, or gadgets for short. What is your take on them? Do you find all those wine gadgets to be a nuisance, a waste of money and useless? Or do you have your favorite bottle opener you swear by as nothing else can deal with the bottle as quickly, neatly and efficiently?

Being an oenophile, I find myself surrounded with all those little wine tools – some I buy, some I get as presents (dear friends: two dozens of bottle stoppers is quite enough, no matter how fancy they look like, I think I’m set for quite a while, so please bring the wine instead). But the important part is that I actually use many of those little gadgets – some pretty much daily, like bottle openers, pourers, glasses or vacuum pump. Some occasionally, like bottle chillers, Champagne bottle stoppers, aerators and decanters. Some are reserved for the OMG moments only, like that Wine Away spray. Some are used only when guests are coming, like glass charms. And then there are those which are priceless when I travel, like bottle sleeves or special wine carriers and even suitcases.

DSC_0602 Wine Gadgets

The fact of the matter is that I use the wine gadgets, and many of them actually help with the wine appreciation. Like the simple bottle pourer, which helps to avoid red smudges on the wine labels and red circle on the table cloth. Or elegant glass, which exhumes with excitement as soon as it is filled with golden or purple liquid.  Where am I going with all this? Simple. As I do it with wine, I want to share my gadget experiences with you – and to tell you what worked for me, what didn’t work, and what you might find useful.

At this point my plan is to have a wine gadget posts on Thursdays – there are plenty of little tools to talk about, so I don’t know whether this will be a weekly feature or not, but time will tell. And if you have any “yay” or “nay” to say about this idea – your comments are always welcome. And until the first gadget post – cheers!

P.S. Don’t forget that today is Chardonnay Day! Celebrate one of the world’s most popular grapes in style!

1. May 23, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Looking forward to the series. I use little gadgets, but then again, they include a decanter, glasses, wine charms and three different cork screws…so yeah, I do use gadgets. More than the average person for sure…:)

May 23, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Thanks! I’ve been thinking of this for a while, time to start writing : )

2. May 23, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Like everyone else in the wine world, I do use some gadgets. On occasion I buy a new gadget that proves to be a waste of good money. Looking forward to your take on them. Personally, I would LOVE to have a collection of antique cork screws!

May 24, 2013 at 12:46 am

Collection of antique cork screws sounds good… I generally don’t get much of the fancy stuff, just have a few simple things I use for the long time – well, will talk about it…

3. May 23, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I love my Riedel glasses and my waiters wine opener (that’s what I’ve always called it) and some Champagne bottle stoppers that I got in France. That’s about it, though I have other things like decanters that I just never use. I’m just really picky about glasses and hate drinking any wine out of glass that’s “thick”, yuck! lol!

May 24, 2013 at 12:48 am

Good glasses are important! But depending on the wine, you can put decanter to the good use too…

4. May 23, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I dig gadgets!Now, I may not use them often but I appreciate the design, the utility (or not) and the fact that i can run them out once in a while to actually put them to use. Great idea to get us all talking/learning about them.

May 24, 2013 at 12:51 am

Yeah, I know how it works with the gadgets…. I have an aerator called Verso Vino, bought it about 4 years ago, and may be used it only 5 times… And if I do use it in the presence of guests, I get the raised eyebrow and a smirk saying “yeah that guy is a wine snob”.

May 23, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I look forward to learning about gadgets, but I’ll have to celebrate Chardonnay Day with a Cab. Or maybe a sangria. 🙂 Cheers!

May 24, 2013 at 12:52 am

No worries about Chardonnay – I actually had to finish the bottle of Switzerland red and never got to the opening of any Chardonnay…

6. May 23, 2013 at 10:14 pm

I do love wine gadgets! I do have to admit that I have the one bottle opener that I always use – the ones with the wings, because anything else is really hard for me. And the pretty glass stoppers always need to be replaced because my husband is forever breaking them…

May 24, 2013 at 12:55 am

Yeah, most of those stoppers are made out of glass, so it is easy to break them. However, I recently got as a present a pair of rubber ones in the form of Micky Maus – those will be hard to break : )

7. May 24, 2013 at 12:00 am

Looking forward to the series. I used to buy all of kinds of gadgets… Now I just stick to cool bottle openers. Not just wine, but beer bottle ones, too.

8. talkavino
    May 24, 2013 at 12:56 am

Thanks! I didn’t think about beer bottle openers – that might be an interesting addition to the subject : )

9. May 24, 2013 at 6:48 am

I definitely have my share of wine gadgets! My favorite might just be the Champagne stopper . . . that thing REALLY works!! Looking forward to your series. Salud!

10. May 24, 2013 at 9:35 am

Gadgets are part and parcel of being known as a wine person. People may be intimidated to buy you a bottle of wine, but out of the goodness of their heart, they will buy a gizmo, that they think will be appreciated. Sometimes these items are great, and get enjoyed from the first moment. I look forward to your thoughts in future articles.

May 24, 2013 at 9:50 am

Thank you for the comment! You are absolutely right. Also, once you are known as a “wine person”, people feel intimidated bringing the wine into your house, as they think that they can never please you, and instead they start bringing all sorts of strange “wine stuff” : )

11. May 24, 2013 at 9:40 am

This is a new site that I love… Basically the Anthroplogie of wine-goodies!

And here’s a collection of gadgets I put together (some ridiculously terrible/gag-gifts, others really cool):

This one still makes me laugh:

Looking forward to your posts!

May 24, 2013 at 9:51 am

Thank you for the comment! Wow, what a great collection – I can tell you are into wine, huh? : ) Thanks for sharing – I will use it as a resource!

• May 27, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Hope it helps! It is ridiculous how much weird wine-related “stuff” is out there…(Oh, and this is Barbie from BlindlyGuessingGrapes, WordPress was giving me issues earlier):) Cheers!

May 27, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Thanks, Barbie. Yes, I realize that there is tons of “wine stuff” out there – I will only be able to cover some, but not all by all means…

12. May 24, 2013 at 10:27 am

Oh yes….talk about gadgets…addicted to them♥ I just bought an electric wine opener in a beautiful shade of red and we all love it.

May 24, 2013 at 12:07 pm

it seems that the subject of Gadgets is of interest to many people : ) Looking forward to all the discussions!

13. May 24, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I love wine pourers and my VacuVin! 🙂

May 24, 2013 at 3:15 pm

same here! This is what I use the most.

14. May 25, 2013 at 11:00 am

Wine toys are great up to a point and definitely a brilliant point for conversation. My all metal Pulltap, waiter’s wine key and a thin, hand-wrought glass (or two for company/clumsiness) is all I need.

Aerators like Vinturi bother me a bit because they feed our desire for immediate gratification. Worse, we assume a wine is “better” if it’s been softened by aeration. They do make the wine “different” but not better. They rush a wine’s evolution, which in a decanter can be as grand to enjoy as a favorite film. They break down the wine’s tannins. A wine without structure is hapless against food. And why buy one? Your blender will already do the trick.

May 25, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Thank you for the comment! I had the idea of talking about the gadgets for a while. But I have to tell you the truth that I’m slightly overwhelmed by the level of the response – it seems that there is a lot of interest to the subject.

I understand your point about Venturi – I don’t own one, and I’m skeptical about its claims. Right now, I only plan to talk about the gadgets I have at my disposal. And by the way, I used the blender once as an aggressive decanter – and I actually plan to do it again 🙂

15. May 25, 2013 at 2:44 pm

The one gadget I swear I should use more but never do is the Ah-So. I don’t know how many times, as I am pulling a cork from an older bottle, it breaks and I swear the next time to use an Ah-So. I never remember, however. Or, I’m just a stubborn idiot.

May 25, 2013 at 9:19 pm

to tell you the truth, I don’t even know what Ah-So is, so I would assume it is okay… But – thanks for mentioning it – now I will have to learn about it : )

1. May 30, 2013 at 10:24 pm