Home > Pinot Noir, wine quiz > Weekly Wine Quiz #55 – Grape Trivia: Pinot Noir

Weekly Wine Quiz #55 – Grape Trivia: Pinot Noir

Image source: Wikipedia

Image source: Wikipedia

And the time has come for the new wine quiz. Continuing with our Grape Trivia theme, the new quiz is about Pinot Noir.

Pinot Noir. The grape behind some of the most expensive and thought after wines in the world. Almost never blended with other grapes. A major weapon in the hands of ABC oenophiles (Anything But Cabernet). At the same time, one of the most finicky, difficult to deal with grapes. To produce great wines, Pinot Noir requires ideal growing conditions. It is genetically unstable, and can easily mutate in the vineyard, producing grapes which look nothing like their parents. It can also “throw a fit” during fermentation and take the process out of control. But – all of it worth the “goodness in the bottle”, so today there is no shortage of great Pinot Noir wines coming in from all over the world.

Pinot Noir is one of the oldest known Vitis Vinifera grapes, specifically grown to be used in winemaking, with historical references  going all the way back to the 4th century in Burgundy, France. Today Pinot Noir is growing literally in every winemaking country in the world, with the wines taking on wide range of expressions depending on the location’s climate and soil. Taste profile of Pinot Noir often includes lighter red fruits and berries – cranberries, strawberries, tart cherries, with hint of smokiness and mushrooms (earthiness).

Now, to the quiz!

Q1: Can you explain the source and meaning of the grape’s name “Pinot Noir”?

Q2: True or False: Burgundy has the biggest plantings of Pinot Noir in France?

Q3: Match the wine/producer with its country/region:

A. Mt. Difficulty 1. Burgundy
B. Evening Land 2. New Zealand
C. Fleury 3. Champagne
D. Hamilton Russell 4. Oregon
E. Clos de Tart 5. South Africa

Q4: Which major wine-producing country is literally unknown as a Pinot Noir producer?

Q5: From 1990 to 2010, annual Pinot Noir harvest in California increased approximately:

a. 2 times

b. 3 times

c. 5 times

d. 7 times

e. 9 times

Have fun, good luck and enjoy your weekend. Cheers!

1. April 20, 2013 at 10:06 am

I am going Google free here!

1. The cluster looks like a pine cone (to some), thus, it comes from the French “pin”.
    2. False (I believe there is more produced in the south—largely for bulk wine).
    3. A.2. B.4. (Eola-Amity) C.3. D.5. E.1.
    4. I guess it depends on what you mean by “major”. I will go with Spain (although there is very little in WA state either).
    5. Total guess: 3 times

April 20, 2013 at 11:59 am

excellent, thanks for playing Jeff!

April 20, 2013 at 12:01 pm

We are planning a trip this summer that will take us into the heart of Oregon’s Pinot country. I anticipate that you and The Drunken Cyclist will be green (purple?) with envy. 😉

April 20, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Hmmm, I guess I’m rather purple – with joy! This is great! Enjoy! Takes lots of good pictures and tasting notes : )

• PSsquared
        April 20, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Thanks. It’s my own personal blog trifecta: photography, wine and hiking. I’m very excited.

• April 21, 2013 at 8:20 am

We spent a week in Oregon wine country last summer . . . absolutely fantastic trip!! So much great, affordable Pinot Noir . . . I was in heaven! We seriously considered moving to Oregon. Have a great trip!! Salud!

• PSsquared
        April 21, 2013 at 1:12 pm

That sounds wonderful. I can’t wait!

3. April 20, 2013 at 2:01 pm

1. Black pine due to the dark color and pinecone-like grape cluster.
    2. False
    3. Technically Evening Land is made in both Burgundy and Oregon (by Lafon and Meunier, nice guy and gall. Although their methods render each frighteningly similar in style, Oregon’s higher alcohol is its tell).
    Ignoring that: 2A, 4B, 3C, 5D, 1E
    4. New Zealand
    5. 9…no clue.

April 20, 2013 at 2:56 pm

welcome and thanks for playing! Thanks for pointer about Evening Land – I didn’t know that they exist in both places. Answers are coming on Wednesday!

4. April 21, 2013 at 8:18 am

Oooooh! Pinot Noir . . . my favorite!!

1. Pinot means pine(cone) in French. And Noir means black. So translated literally, Pinot Noir means black pinecone.
    2. False – I believe Champagne has more.
    3. Mt. Difficulty = New Zealand
    Evening Land = Oregon
    Fleury = Champagne
    Hamilton Russell = South Africa
    Clos de Tart = Burgundy
    4. Spain . . . total guess. Because I’ve never heard of a Spanish Pinot.
    5. Absolutely no clue. When in doubt, go with C.

April 21, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Excellent job! The answers are coming on Wednesday.

5. April 21, 2013 at 9:38 am

Once again, an opportunity to research and gain a little knowledge – thanks!!!
    1. Pinot (Pine), Noir (Black)
    2. False
    3. MT Difficulty – New Zealand; Evening Land – Oregon; Fleury – Champagne; Hamilton Russell – South Africa; Clos de Tart – Burgundy
    4. couldn’t find this with my research, but by the process of elimination, Argentina???
    5. Once again, research failed me so when in doubt, go with “C” – 5 times

April 21, 2013 at 1:42 pm

very well done, thanks for playing! The answers are coming on Wednesday.

6. April 22, 2013 at 4:45 am

1. The name comes from the French words Pinot (Pine) and Noir (Black) because of its pine like shape.
    2. False. Champagne has more than any other French region.
    3. Mt. Difficulty – New Zeleand, Evening Land – California & Oregon, Hamilton Russell – South Africa, Clos de Tart – Burgundy. Fleury isn’t that straight forward because there is one winery named Fleury in California and one in Champagne 😉
    4. Spain
    5. The Wine Institute states well over 4 times. So going with C – 5 times.

April 22, 2013 at 7:36 am

thanks for playing! Answers are coming on Wednesday

7. April 23, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Hmm..this quizz is interesting because I am on the tour of Burgundy! I am in trouble….
    1. Black pine
    2. Everyone says ‘false’ and I will do the same. The production of Burgundy wine is too small, I think.
    3. A-2 / B-4 / C-3/ D-5 / E-1
    4. I would say Austria considering geography.
    5. No clue, but I would say 3 times to be safe.

Pinot noir is still a mystery to me…I am drinking my way down south to the Rhone now as I am getting tired of Pinot and Chadonnay. I miss Bordeaux wines. 🙂

April 23, 2013 at 1:49 pm

thanks for playing! The answer is coming tomorrow.

1. April 24, 2013 at 9:45 pm