Home > Dessert wine, wine > Weekly Wine Quiz #47 – Frost and Grapes

Weekly Wine Quiz #47 – Frost and Grapes

February 9, 2013 Leave a comment Go to comments

DSC_0057 Magnotta Ice WineIt is Saturday, therefore it is the time for our traditional wine quiz.

Quite honestly, I had something else in mind as the topic for the quiz (wanted to play around some etymology and urban legends) – but considering how white is everything outside (we got about 18 inches of snow here in Southern CT), I decided to take a totally different subject for the quiz – it will be all about Ice wines (a.k.a. Icewine and Eiswein).

Here are the questions for today’s quiz:

1. Briefly explain what Icewines are, including required conditions for harvesting of the grapes.

2. Which country is the biggest producer of the Icewine? As a bonus question, narrow it down to the specific region in that country.

3. Name two most popular white grape varieties for production of the Icewine.

4. Name the winery which pioneered Icewines made from the red grapes. Name that grape as well.

Good luck and have fun! Cheers!

1. February 9, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Ok, I’ll take a stab at this one.
    1. Grapes aren’t harvested until after they freeze on the vine, so the sugars in the grapes become much more concentrated. It requires temps of 17-19 C or colder.
    2. Canada – Ontario, followed by BC
    3. Riesling and Vidal.
    4. I don’t know this, but I’m going to guess, Peller Estates and Cabernet Franc.

February 9, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Thanks for playing! Answers are coming on Wednesday.

2. February 9, 2013 at 2:53 pm

1) Eiswein is a type of sweet wine produced with frozen grapes. In Germany, grapes need to be harvested at -6°C or colder.
    2. Canada is the largest producer of Eiswein.
    Bonus question: 75% of Canadian Eiswein comes from Ontario.
    3) Riesling and Vidal
    4) I think the first ice wine from red grape was produced with Cabernet-Franc grapes. I don’t know the winery but it could be Pellar Estates

Anatoli, I hope you don’t mind me sharing this YouTube video. The video shows an actual Eiswein harvest from December 2012 in Germany.

February 9, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Julian, thanks for playing and thank you for the video – I actually never saw the process myself, so this is very cool. Answers are coming on Wednesday, as usual.

3. February 9, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Hahaha, awesome topic. I have to play on this one:

1) Icewine is wine made from frozen grapes. There are two possibilities: either the grapes are left hanging on the vine until they freeze (for me the only true method) or the grapes are harvested, frozen and then crushed (for me blasphemy). The grapes have to remain frozen while crushed. The freezing leads to a concentration of sugar, acidity and aroma. The resulting wines are sweet dessert wines. In Germany, ice wine grapes must not be botrytized. The German Wine Act prescribes harvest at a temperature of below -7 degrees Celsius. I am not sure about other countries’ requirements.

2) I also go with Canada, most likely Ontario.

3) I have had ice wine from Riesling and definitely from Vidal. Knowing that most ice wine comes from Canada, that would be the two grapes. (I have also had a blanc de noir ice wine made from Cabernet Mitos, and have had ice wine from Scheurebe as well).

4) My research tells me it was a shiraz made by Pilliteri Estates Winery (Ontario) in 2004.

🙂 This was fun! And Julian beat me to the punch with the video…I posted a couple of pictures of an ice wine harvest at my friend’s winery in the Mosel valley here: http://thewinegetter.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/what-exactly-is-ice-wine/

• February 9, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I forgot to mention re: question 1 that in Germany, they must also have the minimum must weight of between 110 and 128 degrees Oechsle, depending on the region (which is the equivalent sugar content in the grape of a Beerenauslese or BA).

February 9, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I thought you would like this quiz : ) Thanks for playing and thank for sharing your post! Answers are coming on Wednesday.

4. February 10, 2013 at 8:31 am

I was actually out at a tasting of ice wines yesterday here in PA, so I missed the quiz (well I missed taking a stab at it before the experts which is good because my answers would have looked foolish compared to theirs!).

February 10, 2013 at 10:27 am

It is always much better to drink the wine than to write about it : ) Did you find something you liked?

• February 10, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Does your tongue tickle still from all the sugar and acidity? It’s what happens to me when I have too much ice wine…

February 10, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Well, that depends on the wine. When I drink Inniskilin Cabernet Franc Icewine, nothing hurts – I just want more of it : )

• February 10, 2013 at 4:29 pm

See, the funny thing for me is that I am usually fine with a glass of ice wine. Then I have had my fix and do not need more for a while. Definitely not the same day. 🙂

February 10, 2013 at 6:48 pm

well, by the glassfull I only had those icewines which I didn’t want to finish : ) Inniskillin I only tasted at the winery, and it was very far from the full glass…

1. February 13, 2013 at 6:07 pm