Home > Sauvignon Blanc, wine quiz > Weekly Wine Quiz #65: Grape Trivia – Sauvignon Blanc

Weekly Wine Quiz #65: Grape Trivia – Sauvignon Blanc

Sauvignon Blanc grapes, as presented in Wikipedia

Sauvignon Blanc grapes, as presented in Wikipedia

Welcome to the weekend!

We are continuing our white grapes explorations with this new wine quiz. In the spotlight – Sauvignon Blanc.

Sauvignon Blanc is definitely one of the major white grapes in the world. Literally every wine-producing country is making wines out of the Sauvignon Blanc – France, New Zealand, Chile, California, Italy and many others produce wine in variety of style – from unoaked, light, perfectly summery wines to the barrel-aged, round wines with lots of substance and going all the way to some of the best in the world dessert wines.

Sauvignon Blanc originated in Bordeaux, and spread out around the world in the 19th and mostly in the 20th century. The interesting fact is that while Sauvignon Blanc universally retains its acidity and some fresh cut grass notes, the resulting wines are definitely unique based on the region where the wine is made. French Sauvignon Blanc boast fresh cut grass and acidity, both Chile and New Zealand have lemon/lime/grapefruit as cornerstone of their flavor profile. Sauvignon Blanc wines in US typically show those fresh cut grass notes, but have a lot more fruit all around. Italy at the same time is taking Sauvignon Blanc to the totally new level of expression which have to be experienced. All in all, Sauvignon Blanc produces wines worthy every bit of attention.

Now, to the quiz!

Q1: Name the characteristic smell of (usually French) Sauvignon Blanc wine (hint – it is not the fresh cut grass)

Q2: Name [probably] the most famous wine in the world which contains Sauvignon Blanc as part of the blend.

Q3: Which one doesn’t belong and why?

a. Graves

b. Pouilly Fuisse

c. Pouilly Fumé

d. Sancerre

e. Touraine

Q4: One person played a crucial role in making Sauvignon Blanc one of the major California white wines. Can you name that person?

Q5: Below is the list of great Sauvignon Blanc wines and equally great producers. Do you know which producer made which wine?

1. Alteni di Brassica a. Mara
2. Poggio alle Gazze b. Peter Michael
3. White Grass c. Campo di Sasso
4. L Apres Midi d. Ornellaia
5. Mount Nelson e. Gaja

Good luck, have a great weekend and cheers!

1. July 13, 2013 at 9:22 am

1) gooseberry
    2) well, if it is a blend then Sauternes? Otherwise, I think Sancerre right away.
    3) Pouilly Fuisse – Chardonnay in Burgundy
    4) Mondavi
    5) I fail. This is where drinking experience comes into play…
    Totally guessing:
    1e
    2d
    3a
    4c
    5b

Have a great weekend!

July 13, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Thanks for playing, Barbie! Very solid work – my answers are coming on Wednesday.

• July 14, 2013 at 7:50 am

WAIT! I woke up this morning and thought… “NO! NOT GOOSEBERY (or catpee)… PYRZINE! Green Peppers! = Cool Climate… Duh! SO if it isn’t too late, I’d like to change my answer to #1! 🙂

Thanks! Will check back on Wed!

(And I apparently have serious issues if that is the first thing that pops into my head when I wake up…)

July 14, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Hmmm, this is Sauvignon Blanc, remember – not Cabernet Franc? I think you are better off staying with your first answer 🙂

• July 17, 2013 at 8:08 am

I just looked it up in my WSET book (test in August, so the book was out anyway…) 🙂 : “If planted in cool climate, it has high acidity, and the classic green, herbaceous flavors, often reminiscent of green pepper, grass, or nettles.” I’m pretty sure that Sauv Blanc DOES have methoxypyrazine… well, according to wikipedia:

ANYWAY, the first thing I think of is definitely Catpee/Gooseberry. 😉

July 17, 2013 at 8:32 am

Barbie, I can’t argue with the WSET book – I’m all for green and herbaceous, but then I’m still looking for unique flavor as an answer for this quiz question.

2. July 13, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I only know two without googling…
    Q1 – Cat Pee!
    Q4 – I think it is Robert Mondavi, who started calling his Sauv. Blanc by the name of Fume Blanc in order to do something unique.

July 13, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Excellent, thanks for playing! Great work on that two answers – my answers are coming on Wednesday

3. July 13, 2013 at 7:18 pm

1. Fresh Fruit
    2. The most famous wines from Sauvignon Blanc are Sauternes AOC and Barsac AOC. Not sure which of the two you are looking for.
    3. Pouilly-Fuissé is an AOC that produces only Chardonnay wine wheras the other four also produce wine from Sauvignon Blanc.
    4. Robert Mondavi
    5. 1-E 2-D 3-A 4-B 5-C. As far as I know, Campo di Sasso is not an actual winery but an estate in Tuscany from the winery Tenuta di Biserno. Mount Nelson however is produced in Marlborough.

4. July 14, 2013 at 4:49 am

1. Gooseberry
    2. Sauternes
    3. Pouilly Fuisse is an AOC for Chardonnay and the others are Sauvignon Blanc.
    4. I know that the wine is called Fume Blanc but dont know who created it.
    5. I can only guess 5-B and for the rest I will check on Wed.

Thanks for refreshing my memory, as always.

July 14, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Thanks for playing! Very solid work! Answers are coming on Wednesday.

5. July 14, 2013 at 8:48 am

I’m not taking the quiz, I’ll embarrass myself, lol But I just love sauvignon blanc, so refreshing and crisp, just made for the weather we are having!

July 14, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Yes, I’m with you – Sauvignon Blanc is one of the best wines for this weather… Cheers!

6. July 16, 2013 at 3:24 pm

1. Cat pee
    2. Chateau d’Yquem
    3. Pouilly Fuissé is a Chardionnay
    4. Mondavi’s Fumé Blanc
    5. 1-e; 2-d; 3-a; 4-b; 5-c

July 16, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Aha, finally! I knew if anyone can do it, it would be you, Jeff : ) Great answers – you have a perfect shot at the yellow… glass? (jersey wouldn’t be appropriate, would it?)

7. May 5, 2017 at 9:28 am

Already a winner, I think but I’ll play anyway:
    1)cat pee/ gooseberry
    2) my first thought was Sancerre but a blend, Sauternes.
    3)fuisse
    4) mondavi fume blanc
    5) I’d be guessing but have been influenced by looking at comments so it’s kind of cheating to answer this. 😉 I only recognize some.

• May 7, 2017 at 3:35 pm

Excellent work, Alissa! You are correct with 1 – 4 (even though I have a question – I’m not trying to pick on you – and you don’t need to respond – but how often do you eat gooseberry, especially the nicely ripen one). And Q5 is fun, of course, but you can look at Jeff’s answer, it is correct. Thanks for playing!

• May 7, 2017 at 3:44 pm

And how often do you eat cat pee ;)? Never. Just a note one memorized when it is pointed out.

• May 7, 2017 at 3:53 pm

nobody is talking about eating cat pee – and I have a cat living in the house, so I have the training. Gooseberry, on the other hand, don’t have much explicit smell (their leaves do), and actually the best flavor you can find almost as a revelation on a good New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc is a Black Currant…

• May 7, 2017 at 3:55 pm