Home > Gadgets, wine accessories > Wine Gadgets: Wine Preservers

Wine Gadgets: Wine Preservers

Here comes new Gadgets’ Thursday. Today we will talk about Wine Preservers (in case you missed previous post where we talked about Wine Pourers, here is the link).

The idea behind wine preservers is simple but equally difficult to achieve. As soon as the bottle of wine is open, the oxygen gets in the contact with the wine, which sets of a rapid ageing process. The wine changes its taste as the result of this ageing process. While wine is in the closed bottle, it ages very slowly, as only trace amounts of oxygen (or none in case of screwtops) are getting into the contact with wine. As soon as cork is out, the ageing is fast and irreversible. The best defense – finish the bottle in one day (I know – this is what many of my readers will say) – but in a lot of cases, this simply doesn’t work this way. My wife likes wine, but sometimes she would prefer another drink or none at all – which leaves me one on one with the bottle. Can I finish it? Yes, and it happens from time to time. Is that a good thing – not really, may be for the wine it is, but not necessarily for me. Thus I want to make sure my wine still tastes good on the second day. If necessary or happened to be – on the third too. This is where you reach out to the wine preservers.

How do you preserve the wine from going bad once it is opened? By not letting oxygen get to it, of course. So there are few solutions which can be used here – not all of them are gadgets, but I will list them anyway:

• Box wine: Of course box wine is not a gadget. But the whole point is ( outside of environmental friendliness and low cost) is that by the nature of the design, box wine allows you to pour wine into the glass without letting oxygen inside the sealed bag. Once you “open” the box of wine (opening typically means getting the spout out of the carton), you can continue using it for the long time without any loss in the taste.
  • Wine kegs: while not widely used, the wine can be distributed in the stainless steel kegs which are used by the restaurants to serve the wine on top. Not really an option for the home users (unless you entertain tremendously out of your house). Same as above, the wine is preserved as no oxygen gets back into the keg
  • Inert gas preservers – the idea is based on using the inert gas, such as argon (which is heavier than oxygen) to displace the oxygen on top of the wine in the open bottle. There are few options available which are based on this approach:
    • Enomatic wine dispenser  – I kind of wish to have one at home (see picture below) – allows to have multiple bottles open at the same time, so consumers can run a “self-guided” tasting.
    • A wine preserver system in the can (a can with the inert gas which can be sprayed into an open bottle to displace oxygen)
  • Vacuum pump – allows to remove oxygen from the open bottle by pumping it out.

Here is the same, with the pictures:

Enomatic Wine Dispenser. Do you think I have one at home?

From Wikipedia: Enomatic Wine Dispenser. Do you think I have one at home?

Wine Vacuum sealer

Wine Vacuum sealer

I have both vacuum pump and gas can, and I have to tell you that I use vacuum pump literally every day. Just to explain the usage:

For vacuum pump – insert rubber cork into the bottle, put vacuum pump on top, and pump the air out for as long as it is easy to move the handle – once the resistance becomes substantial, you know that you got all the air out.

For gas can – insert the straw into the bottle, push the top – you will hear the flow of gas under pressure. Keep pushing the top for about 2-3 seconds. Take out straw and quickly close the bottle with the cork.

Both vacuum pump and gas can allow you to accomplish the same goal – extend the life of your beloved beverage once the bottle is opened. Vacuum pump is very inexpensive (one time investment of $12.99 or so), and it will last you almost forever (mine is still working fine for the past 10+ years). At about $9.99 we can’t call gas can an expensive solution either, but you will have to replace them more often. One advantage of the gas can – you can use it to continue keeping wine for much longer time compare to the vacuum pump. I had a few times the need to taste the wine months prior to that wine actually being consumed. What I have done is open the bottle, pour out the amount I needed, use the gas can and put the cork or screwtop back and put the bottle back into the storage – it worked just fine and the wine tasted perfectly when it was opened much later.

Bottom line: I highly recommend using the wine preservers, whether it is a vacuum pump or gas can – they really help to remove that fear of opening the bottle only because you think that you will not be able to finish it and half of the good bottle will go to waste. It is one of the best of the useful, simple and inexpensive wine tools which help you to enjoy the wine more.

Now, to get your opinion on the subject, I created the poll which I plan to continue using for the future gadget posts – let me know what do you think about it. Please keep in mind that answering the poll questions is not a substitute for leaving the comment : ). I definitely would like to hear your opinion on today’s topic.

In case you have an urge to get one of the wine preservers now, here is what you can find on Amazon: Wine Preservers.

And with this – we are done! Cheers!

1. June 13, 2013 at 10:19 am

would love to have an enomatic for the wine bar.

June 13, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I think those machines work quite well – but they are not cheap…

2. June 13, 2013 at 10:20 am

I use the vacuum pump frequently, but I have balked at using the gas can (mostly because I am afraid of user error!) After hearing how much longer the wine can last, I may have to give it a try, though.

June 13, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Don’t think you should be afraid of user error. Try it at once, the cans are easy to use. But then again,my daily tool is pump.

3. June 13, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Managing a wine store, we used the same gas can you have for daily tastings. A wine typically held out 10 days, as long as we didn’t shake it, and especially in the fridge. The Vacuvine pumps worked well, but we kept losing/abusing the special corks, so we switched to….

Napa Technology’s enomatic wine-station and I used it for three years. We used food grade argon. It worked brilliantly, depending on the wine. Well made, expensive wines that were at the early end of their window lasted up to a month in there with little change. Cheaper ones died after a week or more. We had one machine to keep the whites at temp, and another for the reds. They kept employees from drinking or pouring to much for customers, since everything was computer controlled. Caveats? It’s pointless during high volume tastings: I couldn’t attach new bottles quickly enough. Also Anything rubber or plastic wore out on it at some point. Although continuous, daily tastings from open to close will wear out anything (including myself).

June 13, 2013 at 11:48 pm

wow, you have a lot of had on experience with this stuff – thanks for sharing!

4. June 13, 2013 at 9:46 pm

My dream home will have an enomatic wine dispenser, but for now, I’ll use my vacuum pump.

June 13, 2013 at 11:46 pm

My dream home will definitely have a large cellar – not sure I would need an enomatic wine dispenser – I will simply invite guests more often : )

5. June 13, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Great post, Anatoli! On those rare instances that I do not finish a bottle 😉 I totally love my vacuvin! Just like you said, an inexpensive and very effective solution to keep enjoying your wine the day after.

June 13, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Thank you, Stefano! Yes, it is hard to beat Vacuvin…

6. June 16, 2013 at 7:14 am

I agree with Stefano—I have the vacuvin and use it all the time! There was the slight problem that we were experiencing when the woman who cleans our house was throwing out the rubber corks. Once that mystery was solved….

June 16, 2013 at 10:04 am

I can see that happening. Without knowing what those rubber corks are, they do look odd…
      At the same time, I was always under impression that you live in exemplary household, where no bottles can be left unfinished? : )

7. Janet
    July 12, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I own a Wine Station from Napa Technologies and I LOVE IT! So amazing to have temperature controlled, by the glass wine storage in my home. As a wine lover this was the BEST investment I have made in years!

July 13, 2014 at 8:26 am

Thanks for the comment, Janet. Wine Station definitely sounds like a great system to have, so you can have a glass of wine any time, worry free.

1. June 20, 2013 at 5:19 pm