Home > What is it?, wine quiz > Weekly Wine Quiz #56: What Is It?

Weekly Wine Quiz #56: What Is It?

It is Saturday, and wine quizzes are back at Talk-A-Vino!

I will continue the grape series with the next quiz (we already covered 3 grapes, so there are only about 200-300 left), but for today, I want to play one of my most favorite games – the one with the picture, you know?

Below is the picture which is very relevant to the wine world – do you know what it is, what it is for and how to use it?

DSC_0441

Good luck, enjoy your weekend and don’t forget that Mother’s Day is tomorrow. Cheers!

1. May 11, 2013 at 10:58 am

Without the proper nomenclature, I think it’s a barrel making ‘thingie’. To hold the staves together before putting on the steel band. Although it looks much too small in the picture.

May 11, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Very good guess, thanks for playing! The answer is coming on Wednesday.

2. May 11, 2013 at 12:57 pm

If I remember correctly, it’s a hot iron for cutting the top of a bottle’s glass taking the cork inside with it as a way of removing a bad/old cork without it falling into the wine…mainly for port.

May 11, 2013 at 1:01 pm

excellent guess! Thanks for playing, the answer is coming on Wednesday.

3. May 11, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I am pretty sure it is a Medieval instrument of torture, most likely used by the Inquisition! 😉

May 11, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I actually forgot to write in the post that while it might look like an instrument of torture, it is actually not – but forgot. So no, while I can’t be responsible for the inquisition, it is not one of their tools : )

4. May 11, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Yes, waywardwine got it–port tongs.

May 11, 2013 at 5:42 pm

okay, may be you are right, but then how do you use it?

The answer is coming on Wednesday.

• May 13, 2013 at 1:20 pm

OK: heat the tongs in a fire until they are really hot. Place your bottle of port upright and grasp the bottle with the tongs just below the bottom of the cork. Hold it there for a bit. Remove the tongs and then quickly wrap the neck with an ice cold towel. The sudden, drastic temperature change should cause the glass to crack cleanly. Remove the top of the bottle and serve the port!

May 13, 2013 at 1:34 pm

excellent answer! Sounds like you drink vintage port all the time!

May 11, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I’m with Stefano, I think it’s a torture device. 😉

May 12, 2013 at 6:49 am

well, no, this is just a wine tool : )

6. May 12, 2013 at 7:45 pm

It does look like you could hold the wine bottle with it, but I have no idea why. Guess I’ll find out Wednesday! Good one!!!

7. May 15, 2013 at 1:37 am

Wow, i have no idea about the tool but from the comments above, it seems like a heck of a tool!

May 15, 2013 at 6:05 am

no worries, it is not that dangerous : ) The answer is coming out shortly.

1. May 15, 2013 at 8:52 am