Home > Experiences, Zinfandel > And Then There Was Zin…

And Then There Was Zin…

DSC_0370 Wine Guerrilla ZinfandelOnly yesterday I wrote the post about difficult task of figuring out when the wine is at its peak. And then I opened a bottle of 2007 Zinfandel. Unscrewed the top and poured into the glass. Quick swirl, sniff – and I’m blown away. Pure dried figs. Beautiful. Pure. Clean. Nothing gets in the way. Not overpowering. Just clean and firmly present. May be there were other flavors there – from that moment on, I didn’t look for anything else. It was reincarnation of 1997 Le Ragose Amarone, the magnificent moment I keep re-living on and on.

The first sip brought in the same level of perfection. Dry. Round. Crisp, if you can apply that to the red wine. Dried figs, blueberries, sage, eucalyptus. No fruit jams of any kind. No sweetness at all. Prefect balance and harmony. Yes, this kind of wine makes you emotional and forces you to reflect.

The wine – 2007 Wine Guerrilla Goat Trek Vineyard Block 6 Zinfandel Dry Creek Valley Sonoma County (15.5% ABV). A blend of 87% Zinfandel, 7% Cabernet Franc and 6% Petite Sirah. This wine is made by Wine Guerrilla. And when the have a slogan “Wine Guerrilla – The Art and Soul of Zinfandel”, they are really not kidding. Take a look at their line of Zinfandel wines here.

6 years old wine. Did I manage to hit the peak? I have no idea. Is it possible that the wine would improve further. Quite possible, but this was my last bottle.

Oh yes, and there is a culprit here. The wine I enjoyed so much was a little warmer than the cellar temperature – my wine fridge is set for 55°, so I guess the wine was about 62°-64° when I was drinking it. The next day when I finished the bottle, it was much warmer, probably at about 72° – and while it was good, it was not magical. And the temperature of the wine is literally the last thing I want to deal with instead of just enjoying the wine. Oh well… I’m glad I had this experience in my life. Cheers!

April 8, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I’m glad you liked it. I would probably buy that one for the amazing label. Yes, I’m a sucker for an artistic label. Cheers!

April 9, 2013 at 6:10 am

Yes, it was pretty amazing… By the way, the company which makes this wine, Wine Guerrilla, has a full line of artistic labels, take a look: http://www.wineguerrilla.com/wines

• PSsquared
        April 9, 2013 at 11:32 am

Wow, they have some amazing art on their labels. Thanks for sharing.

April 9, 2013 at 11:50 am

absolutely. I just updated the post with this info – I should’ve included it from the beginning.

2. April 9, 2013 at 7:30 am

Lucky you!

April 9, 2013 at 7:51 am

it was a great experience, for sure…

3. April 9, 2013 at 11:19 am

I am not a zif lover by all means…but this label is striking…it just tells you how important the marketing is too.

April 9, 2013 at 11:49 am

you should try it – there is a good chance you just didn’t find the right one. I just updated the post with the link for their full line of zinfandels – lots of great labels there.

4. April 9, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I always like a bit of age on my Zins to let them settle down a bit. This one certainly sounds like a gem!

April 9, 2013 at 6:28 pm

yes, it was great – but I’m afraid it was just a “lucky moment” and not easy to reproduce…

5. April 10, 2013 at 2:56 am

I’m a zin fan for sure, I’ve tasted their wines, and I’ve got a bottle of their wine in the cellar that has additional drawing on it by the artist! I keep thinking I should open it and keep waiting for THE special occasion! I was starting to wonder if maybe I was waiting too long–nice to hear that the 07 is still going strong!

April 10, 2013 at 6:08 am

I think this wine still got life on it – can’t tell you how much longer, but this 2007 was not showing any signs of aging.

6. April 11, 2013 at 9:33 am

Great review, Anatoli: sounds like this one was really great. Wow, 15.5% VOL approaches fortified wine territory! 🙂 I hope I will be able to try this one out sooner or later, I am definitely intrigued. Interesting name for a winery, too! 😉

April 11, 2013 at 10:08 am

thanks, Stefano – this was a great experience. I don’t think I have any more of the Guerrilla Zin left, but I have a vertical of Carlisle Zins (2004, 2005 and 2006) waiting for us, and those guys are pushing 16%…

• April 14, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Wow! Thank you for the “invitation”, Anatoli! I’d sure to love to taste them together!
        A couple of days ago I had a bottle of Feudi di San Marzano Primitivo 60Anni and I thought about your post – not the same style as the Wine Guerilla, I have to say! 😉

April 14, 2013 at 5:17 pm

So did you like the Primitivo?

• April 15, 2013 at 5:15 am

Well, I have to say I did, although it is not really my style of wine with super ripe fruit and chocolate flavors all over your nose and mouth; in other words, a little bit exuberant. But it was balanced and by all means a very good wine. Not the kind of wine I would drink regularly, but once in a while I can take it 🙂

April 15, 2013 at 6:51 am

The balance is a key. The wine might be very big, but as long as all the components are “together”, in harmony, the experience will be good.