Home > Burgundy, wine quiz > Weekly Wine Quiz #43: Which One Doesn’t Belong?

Weekly Wine Quiz #43: Which One Doesn’t Belong?

January 13, 2013 Leave a comment Go to comments
Domaine Romanee-Conti La Tashe 2008

Domaine Romanee-Conti La Tashe 2008

Time to play our weekly wine game!

I still don’t have a good idea for the series of quizzes, so we will continue jumping around for a while. As you can guess from the picture, today we will be talking about Burgundy.

When it comes to the grapes, Burgundy is probably the easiest to remember appellation in the world – they only use two grapes – all the reds are made out of Pinot Noir, and all the whites are made out of Chardonnay – easy, right? When you see a bottle of Burgundy, you don’t need to read the back label or search on internet to find out what grapes this wine is made out of,  you immediately know it.

However, as everything in this world has two sides, so does Burgundy. The payback for the “grape simplicity” is probably the most complex in the world system of naming the wines, with Grand Crus, Primier Crus, Domaines, Clos and so on (no, we are not going into the Burgundy crash course here, this is just a prelude to the question).

Playing on this complexity (see, I’m honest), below is the list of Burgundy wineries, but one of them doesn’t belong – you will need to figure out which one and why:

1. Clos de Lambrays
  2. Clos du Tart
  3. La Grand Rue
  4. La Romanée
  5. La Romanée Conti
  6. La Tache

Have fun and good luck! Cheers!

1. January 13, 2013 at 9:31 am

1. Clos de Lambrays is the only one that is not a Monopole (but it is really close to being one).

January 13, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Thanks for playing! The answer is coming on Wednesday.

2. January 13, 2013 at 10:41 am

1. Clos de Lambrays
    Domaine des Lambrays is not a Monopole because Domaine Taupenet-Merm also owns part of the vineyard Clos de Lambrays (the other winery only owna 0.18 hectares).

Quite odd that because of so little land a winery is not allowed to write Monopole on their bottles. I mean how many bottles can you produce on 0.18 hectares? Probably less than a thousand 😛

January 13, 2013 at 1:16 pm

thanks for playing! Answer is coming on Wednesday.
      Regarding your question about Clos de Lambrays – according to the domain, they produce between 30,000 and 40,000 bottles a year of their Grand Cru wine alone – plus a few other wines. Considering prices for Burgundy wines, I’m sure they are doing quite well.

• January 13, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Hey Anatoli, I think I expressed my self wrong. 0.18 hectares is the area of the vineyard that Domaine Taupenet-Merm owns.
        If I remember correctly, Domaine des Lambrays owns the rest of the vineyard which should be a little bit over 8 hectares (and you are right that Domaine de Lambrays produces around 30000-40000 bottles).
        So my comment with the 1000 bottles was concerning Domaine Taupent-Merm : )
        But it doesn’t really matter I guess. I don’t want to confuse either of us.

3. January 14, 2013 at 10:28 am

That picture has a great resolution! Just thought I throw that out there 😛
    No idea what the answer to your quiz is.. I’ll go with 2. I’ve got nothing to lose so why not guess

January 14, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Most of my pictures in this blog are done at about that resolution, some are higher.

Thanks for playing! Answer is coming on Wednesday.

1. January 16, 2013 at 12:01 pm