Home > wine quiz > Weekly Wine Quiz #42: Common Traits

Weekly Wine Quiz #42: Common Traits

wine quiz pictureDid you miss these posts? Whether you did or did not – the holidays are over, and it is time to resume our traditional Saturday wine quizzes.

I wanted to come up with a nice series, as I had it with the wine reviews (#29, #30, #31 and #32), but nothing interesting came to my mind so far, so this quiz will be completely random.

Many times before I asked you to find what is different, or which item doesn’t belong to the list. This time, it is the other way around. Below is the list of different wines and/or producers from all over the world, who share something in common. Can you please tell me what it is?

• La Mondotte
  • Chateau Le Pin
  • Tua Rita Redigaffe
  • Amuse Bouche
  • Quilceda Creek

As usual, please provide the answer in the comments below.

Have fun and good luck! Happy first weekend of 2013! Cheers!

Categories: wine quiz Tags: ,
  1. January 5, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Really expensive red wines that are predominantly (if not 100%) merlot, of which you have 10 year verticals in your cellar?

January 5, 2013 at 7:50 pm

“of which you have 10 year verticals in your cellar” – I’m flattered, that would feel pretty good, wouldn’t it? I have to admit I never tried any of those wines, but I like the way you think anyway. Thanks for playing! The answer is coming on Wednesday.

2. January 5, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Ooohhh! I know. They are all bottles that are expensive and that none of my friends have brought over to my house to share. Oh wait, that’s probably not what you were looking for.

January 5, 2013 at 10:37 pm

This is an excellent guess : ) If it would make you feel any better, none of my friends would bring them to my house to share either. It is not even that all these wines are very expensive, they are also very scarcely available, but – you are right, this is not what I’m looking for. You can try again, if you wish : )

• January 5, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Well I know that Quilceda Creek sells exclusively to folks on their mailing list, and that it is about a two year wait to get on it. So that will be my real guests – mailing list sales only….

January 5, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Thanks for playing! The answer is coming on Wednesday.

• January 5, 2013 at 10:47 pm

“my real guess”, not guests…

3. January 6, 2013 at 2:09 am

Redigaff from the winery Tua Rita is produced with 100% Merlot.

La Mondotte plants mostly Merlot (3/4 of all their vines are Merlot)

Chhateu Le Pin produces one of the most expensive wines in the world (Le Pin) which is again produced with over 90% Merlot.

Amouse Bouche is a winery from Napa Valley which makes a really expensive wine produced with Merlot grapes (96% Merlot)

The only winery which doesn’t fit in here is Quilceda Creek. The winery plants Cabernet-Sauvignon and Merlot.

So all wineries/wines have in common that they are producue/are produced with Merlot grapes. Furthermore all of them are outrageously expensive. Hope this is right 🙂

January 6, 2013 at 8:21 am

Excellent analysis! The answer is coming on Wednesday.