Home > wine > Suggestive Labeling? Yes!

Suggestive Labeling? Yes!

I realize it more and more now – I’m a sucker for a good wine labels. Yes, I know – don’t judge the book by its cover. Of course. But the first thing you see when you look at the bottle of wine is a label. Considering sheer number of wines in the average wine store, label is critical element of the wine’s success. It has to attract your attention. It has to seduce you. It has to promise you a great time. It has to be memorable. And the label has only a fraction of a second to make this all happen.

While visiting Cost Less Wines in Stamford, this is exactly what happened. Something caught my eye – the label I never saw before. I grabbed the bottle – and then there was another, and another, and another. A special project from Barton and Guestier – The Pairing Collection. If you remember Entwines, the joint project by Food Network and Wente, The Pairing Collection wines represent the next step – a very suggestive name and the picture on the front label, and the recipe in the back, and even QR code to take you to the specially designated The Pairing Collection web site –  how cool is that?! Well, you be the judge – here are the labels.

Chops & Burgers Bordeaux red AOC:

Salmon & Trout Bordeaux white AOC:

And the back label:

Lobster & Shrimp Muscadet Sèvre et Maine AOC:

and here is the recipe for you:

Cheese & Crackers Beaujolais Village AOC:

Chicken & Turkey Côtes du Rhône AOC:

So, what do you say? Do these labels speak to you? Let me know! Cheers!

Categories: wine Tags:
  1. August 5, 2012 at 11:11 am

My first reaction is that they are far too gimmicky for me. But then I think “Whatever gets people to drink or try more wine is generally a good thing….

August 5, 2012 at 5:42 pm

While you might be right about the “gimmick”, the innovative part of those labels is wicked cool in my opinion

2. August 5, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I’ve seen these advertised, but haven’t ran into any bottles at my local shop. I think the marketing is genius, anything to get folks to reach out and try something new-to-them. I’ll be interested to see how they drink.
    Cheers!

August 5, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Thanks for the comment! I tried one of them – it was not bad. The report is coming out shortly.

3. August 5, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I am a sucker for cool labels, too. But I am not sure whether this goes a little too far for my taste…:)

August 6, 2012 at 9:28 am

I hear you. I tried one bottle so far, and it was not bad – the labels are cool enough for me to buy at least one bottle. Also, I think these wines will be a hit at a party, at least as a novelty.

4. August 6, 2012 at 11:18 am

Me, too, sucker for labels. I don’t like to admit it, because I know that the label should not be the first consideration. But I agree with “the drunken cyclist”, whatever gets people to put wine on their table and consider food pairings, is great. These labels are engaging and they follow the theme all the way through with their use of recipes and qr codes. I can’t wait to track these down in the Tampa Bay market soon.

Jodi @tampawinewoman

August 6, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Thanks for the comment! Let me know how you will like them.

5. August 6, 2012 at 11:19 am

Reblogged this on Wine in Tampa and commented:
    Check out these fun new labels. As a wine professional I know labels should not be the only consideration, but these at least get people thinking about getting wine on their table.

August 6, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Thanks!

6. August 6, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Love this idea–it’s such a great way to help consumers who would otherwise be intimidated by a wine they don’t recognize.

Certainly fun for a party too

August 6, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Thanks for the comment! It is interesting to see how wine marketing keeps evolving and creativity never ends…

1. August 7, 2012 at 10:22 am