Home > Daily Glass, The Wine Century Club, Treble journey, wine, wine ratings > Daily Glass Meets Treble Journey: Norton, The Real American Grape, or #245

Daily Glass Meets Treble Journey: Norton, The Real American Grape, or #245

As I mentioned in my previous post, grape called Norton was on my “to try” list for the long time ( ever since I started with The Wine Century club). Finally, during my visit to Chrysalis Vineyards, I got an opportunity to try it in the different versions (Estate 2005, Estate 2006, Locksley Reserve 2005 and Sarah’s Patio Red, a semi-sweet wine). As I also shared the bottle with friends, I decided that it would be appropriate to share this post between daily glass and treble journey.

Talking about whole line of Norton wines I happened to try during the tasting, they were all good wines, or to use the previously given definitions, they were all “pleasant” wines. Not to say that I’m very judgmental,  but this would not be my average experience of visiting the wineries. So I’m happy to repeat that I was pleasantly surprised. Now, looking at all those Norton wines, I have to say that while Norton Locksley Reserve 2005 is designated “best” by the winery (if price, $35, is any indicator), and excluding Sarah’s Patio Red, as semi-sweet wine to me is a “special occasion” wine, my favorite was Norton Estate 2005 ($19).

This Norton Estate 2005 wine was very round and supple, with good amount of red fruit, like blackberries, and hint of spicy cedar notes. Soft tannins, fruit and acidity are well balanced, and finish is lingering for a very long time.

Drinkability: 8-

My only wish at this point is that the rest of the 55 grapes I still need to get through in my Treble journey would be as good as the grape #245 – Norton, The Real American Grape.

1. September 6, 2010 at 12:40 pm

It is certainly a lovely post. An information something like this demonstrates just how steeply the concept is actually thought of by creator.

2. TNWT
    September 10, 2010 at 8:28 am

Hopefully along the way you will get to try other Norton wines which now can be found in 209 vineyards in 23 states. You did well in using Chrysalis Vineyards’ Norton wine as your starting standard. Have you read Todd Kliman’s newly released The Wild Vine?

September 10, 2010 at 8:43 am

Yes, I have Todd Kliman’s book and started reading it. 209 vineyards in 23 states – wow, very impressive!
      Which one is your favorite Norton wine?

3. TNWT
    October 26, 2010 at 5:53 pm

The number changes all the time, but as of today 207 Norton wineries. Norton (Cynthiana) wines can be found throughout the mid-and-Southeast with Missouri ruling the Norton roost, but there are fine examples to be found in other states. Best Norton wines to our tastes found by states so far: White Oaks (AL); Mount Bethel (AR), Three Sister (GA); Century Farms (TN); Elk Creek (KY); Castle Gruen, *Cooper, DuCard, Chrysalis ($$), (VA); Stone Mountain Cellars (PA), Blumenhof, Heinrichshaus, Stone Hill’s Cross J, Montelle, Robller, Pleasant Bend, Westphalia (MO). In every case, Norton wines need to breathe at least 40 minutes. Most Norton wines need to rest four or more years to come into their own. There are very few “drink now” Norton wines, but Castle Gruen and Westphalia come close to this.

October 27, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Thank you for the note. I will definitely look for the Norton wines going forward.

1. September 1, 2010 at 3:49 pm