Home > What is it?, wine quiz > Weekly Wine Quiz #88: What Is It?

Weekly Wine Quiz #88: What Is It?

January 11, 2014 Leave a comment Go to comments

The Wine Quiz series is not meant to intimidate. The whole idea here is to have fun and learn something new. When answering the questions, it is fully encouraged to use all available sources of information, including Google or any other search engine. There are no embarrassing answers – the most embarrassing thing is not giving it a try…

Welcome to the weekend and your new wine quiz!

I was planning to go back to the grape trivia series with this quiz, but then I was shown an object so peculiar that my immediate thought was – I have to make a quiz out of it! Here we are: take a look at the picture below – you don’t need to name the object (not sure if it has any specific name), but you have to explain what it is for and how it is used. Sorry – I know, this is not the best photo ever, but it shouldn’t be a problem for solving this quiz.

photo 2

Good luck, enjoy the quiz and your weekend! Cheers!

1. January 11, 2014 at 9:12 am

It reminds me of those OLD vintage corkscrews with the dusting brush on one end. But this doesn’t appear to be a corkscrew . . . unless the corkscrew is hiding inside? My daughter says it looks like a fancy make-up brush . . . 😉.

January 11, 2014 at 9:21 am

wow, I never saw a corkscrew with the dusting brush at the end – that must be cool!

Well, if it would be a make-up brush, it would be in my daughter’s blog, not in mine :)

I can tell you that there is nothing hiding inside of this “instrument” – it is used exactly as shown.

• January 11, 2014 at 10:13 am

This is a great idea to combine a corkscrew with this tool!

2. January 11, 2014 at 9:14 am

And it’s wine related? I can only imagine cleaning or filtering with those brushes.

January 11, 2014 at 9:19 am

Yes, this is wine related. This is a wine blog after all, right? : )

3. January 11, 2014 at 9:59 am

I think it is a hammer to break up the Sealing wax off the bottle, and the brush to clean it up.

January 11, 2014 at 10:02 am

Excellent guess Misha! Thanks for playing! My answer is coming on Wednesday.

4. January 11, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I like Misha’s answer, too. I found antique corkscrews with brushes on the end, but nothing with a mallet like that. Fun quiz! :)

January 11, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Thanks, Patty!

5. January 11, 2014 at 3:18 pm

I have never seen one of these before but Misha’s answer makes a lot of sense. I’m going with a hammer & brush to remove the wax off a bottle and to clean up after.

January 11, 2014 at 11:04 pm

thanks, Julian!

• January 12, 2014 at 2:19 am

I’m going to copy Julian. Go ahead, call me a copycat. But I did think of it, even if he said it first. Actually, at first I thought, “It’s some kind of weird shaving brush,” because we were having a shaving brush conversation today, but this is, after all, a wine blog and I didn’t figure shaving had anything to do with wine.

6. January 11, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I have no idea other than the brush would be used to clean or brush away some sort of debris, Misha’s answer sounds pretty close. The end thats not a brush is flat right? like a hammer?

January 11, 2014 at 11:03 pm

the other end is somewhat flat, this is correct. Yes, that might a right answer : )

7. Emil
    January 12, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Looks like something one would use to break off the wax bottle seal and brush off the dust.

January 13, 2014 at 12:58 am

thanks for playing! The answer is coming on Wednesday.

1. January 15, 2014 at 8:19 am